Hot reloading--the ability to push over the air updates to published apps and the promise of having your app “just work” out of the box on Android as well as iOS--make React Native a tempting proposition for frontend developers. But what do you do when you have to integrate React Native into a large existing native code base?
This talk is from the perspective of an experienced native iOS developer who has worked with React Native to ship several cross-platform Greenfield and brownfield apps.
Things I will talk about:
- Overview of the challenges involved in integrating React Native into an existing app.
- A real life case study integrating React Native into a native app with millions of users.
- Strategies for passing data and events in a brownfield app.
- Working with build systems like CocoaPods
- How to do CodePush in a brownfield app
- How to handle navigation in a brownfield app
- Best practices for working with Native engineers
- Example brownfield application